Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Top 5

Okay, this has nothing to do with El Salvador, but (thank God!) since I don't have television, I'm able to read alot more--especially on long bus rides! Here is my top 5 recommended books that I've read since I've been here:

1) The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho (Paulo Coelhos journey on the Road to Santiago--very inspiring!)

2) The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (Biblical story of Dinah--Jacob and Leah's daughter. Extremely empowering for women.)

3)The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Another good book for women's empowerment.)

4) Night of the Radishes by Sandra Benitez (Conjures up fond memories of Mexico, as it is partially set in Oaxaca, Mexico)

5) Tear this Heart Out by Angeles Mastretta (More women empowerment! Fictional story set in Mexico post-revolution period)

(I'm also reading Jared Diamond's book "Collapse"--requires more brain power than the others, but well worth it! Essentially taking lessons learned from societies that have failed historically, and applying that to current environmental/societal concerns and realities.)

No comments: