Thursday, September 21, 2006

Guazapa

My horse, princessa, and Michelle with our guide, Luis.

Last weekend another Crisis Corps Volunteer and I, Michelle, went on a tour of Mount/Volcano Guazapa. It is just outside of Suchitoto where I used to live, and I've been meaning to take the tour for months now. This area saw much destruction during the war--burned houses, craters where bombs were dropped can still be seen, foxholes, and trenches. The tour is given by an ex-combatant--extremely interesting, but also beautiful and peaceful at the same time. In addition to showing us the historical war-related sites, our guide also showed us waterfalls, plants that centuries ago were used to make indigo, and he even dug up some ginger root for me to take home. This country is so full of opportunities to discover history and beauty, and I feel good about contributing to the "eco-tourism" that is trying to progress here in El Salvador. (Can anyone tell I want visitors?!)


These pictures were part of what I saw on the tour. I believe that the first is a former school that was used as a camp during the war. The other is a small cemetary erected for a few men that died in combat. ("In Remembrance of the heroes fallen in combat")

No comments: